Supporting Recovery from addictions and having a positive impact on our communities
1st Step is a charity that offers many different types of recovery-orientated activities and community services across West Lothian and Falkirk.
On a weekly basis through all our activities, we engage with around 200 people!
Our Main Aims Are:
- To provide safe, supportive environments for people affected by addictions/poor mental health.
- To create opportunities for people to gain confidence, build diverse supportive relationships, develop skills, learn and build better relationships with the wider community (really important to preventing relapse)
Social connections, creating purpose, tackling boredom and stigma and importantly giving people hope, are the key ingredients needed to help people build recovery capital and recover sustainably.
We do this through a community development approach and building on “What’s Strong Not Wrong” in individuals and communities. By creating and developing a range of positive opportunities for people affected by addiction or poor mental health we have enabled many people to reclaim their lives and the lives of their families and friends.
People in this situation often need considerable support and understanding and suitable volunteering opportunities can be difficult to find but essential to building recovery. Our team has a unique and diverse range of skills to provide the right support at the right time for individuals.
Activities and Services That We Offer:
- Weekly recovery meeting in Linlithgow
- Weekly community café in Linlithgow
- A community garden in Linlithgow
- 1st Step bike training and refurbishment based at the Linlithgow Recycling Centre and the Howgate Shopping Centre, Falkirk
- Two community food pantries in Bridgend Village and the Howgate Shopping Centre in Falkirk